When you get to fifty you suddenly find a different sort of junk mail dropping through your letter box. You'll get your first free copy of SAGA magazine, along with ads for hearing aids, high chairs, walking sticks, magnifying glasses, incontinence pants, beds that lift you up and things that massage your poor clapped out old body.
What you might find at fifty is a bit shocking so don't look in the mirror. You don't want to be reminded that everything's slipping south, one chin is now three chins and a waistline is something you remember with affection.
If you wake up in the morning with your boobs under your armpits, your stomach rising like a sponge and creaky knees don't despair. This is what I did. It may not meet with my doctor's approval but it works for me.
1) Remove the bathroom mirror.
2) Bin all the junk mail as soon as you get it.
3) Ignore advice to slow down now that you're getting older.
4) Take the dog out before work as well as after. Go for a bit of a run instead of just a walk. I'm fully awake by the time I get to the office while the youngsters are still yawning.
5) Do whatever it takes to get your joints moving but don't sit around for long periods of time. Sitting is the new smoking. I read that on the internet so it must be true. Some people swear by food supplements and others do things like tai chi or pilates. I meditate daily and I went to a spiritualist healer when I had a really poorly knee. It seemed to help. I must admit my knees no longer creak. Sasha has Joint Aid every day and she seems quite perky on it. Whatever it is that keeps me going I'm delighted and very fortunate to be able to run with my dogs.
Finally, if you haven't started agility yet and you think you might be getting too old for this sort of thing, you are absolutely wrong. It's not unusual at a show to find yourself waiting to go in the ring along with a nine year old and a seventy year old. After seventy, handlers either proudly boast about their age or they keep very quiet. They still win though so in spite of your comparative youth you'll have some competition on your hands. Good luck and happy jumping.
Note: I wrote this when I was in my fifties. I'm over seventy now and it still applies. I'm still running and thank God every day I'm able to do it.
If you've enjoyed this page on Agility Bits why not help us to keep going by shopping for your new puppy or your new dog in the Doggie Shop. Our partners have some excellent deals especially Pet Planet and their well known budget cages.
Zooplus is very good for dog and puppy food and they deliver really quickly and our new partner Bunty looks very promising. Their prices seem very competitive and you get free delivery on all orders with15% off your first order.
Finally Groomers online is the absolute best for grooming products for professional or home dog people.